Letter to the Editor: Pine Meadow going before court

| November 4, 2018 | 1 Comment

Dear Editor,

The Friends of Pine Meadow lawsuit to overturn the City council’s “rewrite history” decision that changed Pine Meadow from open space to residential is finally going to be heard by Contra Costa Superior Court.

On January 19, 2017 the City Council voted that the 43 year old open space designation for Pine Meadow was all just a mistake and Pine Meadow was supposed to be residential all along.

The twelve-page City Staff Report said just the opposite, but the Council still voted 4-1 to overturn the Pine Meadow open space designation that had been in place since 1973. (Lara DeLaney voted “no” in support of the Staff Report, but Schroder/McKillop/Gipner/Ross all voted “yes”.)

If the court agrees with us that the City Council decision was wrong, the designation of open space for Pine Meadow will remain in place.

As open space, Pine Meadow will be subject to the requirement of Measure I for a public vote on any change of that property designation to residential.

The court hearing is scheduled for December 20. Our legal brief describing the reasons why the City Council action was wrong is available on our website, www.friendsofpinemeadow.org. (The Court limited our brief to twenty-five pages, so only the most important arguments are included.)

We thank all of you who have supported us with your actions and donations in this lawsuit. If the City Council can rewrite history the way they have tried to do on Pine Meadow, not only will Pine Meadow be lost as open space, but so many other important issues in our city will be subject to the whims of the Council’s interpretation of history.

– Tim Platt for Friends of Pine Meadow

Tags: , ,

Category: Opinion

Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. beth eiselman says:

    Every good wish for success of Friends of Pine Meadow. Thanks to all “Friends” for good work.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *